Posted - August 01 2007 : 13:11:26
| I downloaded the free version and had a heck of a problem getting it to work on my Vista machine. For some reason it wouldn't see the access database. I did some searching around and I found this on another forum which fixed my problem.
Good luch to all.
Ok, after some research on this forum and MS KB926939 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926939) heres how I got my Access DB working again. I'll attempt to make this a bit easier going on people who do not have huge amounts of experience (like me) with this 'guide'. If anyone has any reservations about the methods used here please speak up, give some reasons why and how to remedy them!! Thanks.
Please note I have no idea how to UNDO the commands below. If anyone does it would sure be handy to know how. People dont seem to be very good at demonstrating how to reverse these types of actions! MS did not serve up any form of reversal either. Here goes:-
First off, using 'Command Prompt' with 'Run as administrator' (right click the command prompt icon for this option), paste in the following (one at a time) and press enter. Command prompt will write back to say weather these were successfully applied or not.
icacls %windir%\serviceprofiles\networkservice\AppData\Local\Temp /grant Users:(CI)(S,WD,AD,X)
Note: This command enables every user to create files and directories in the temporary directory.
icacls %windir%\serviceprofiles\networkservice\AppData\Local\Temp /grant "CREATOR OWNER":(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
Note: The user who creates a file or a directory in the temporary directory is the CREATOR OWNER. The CREATOR OWNER access control entry grants a user complete control over the file or the directory. Other users cannot access these files and directories because they are not the CREATOR OWNER.
The command below was not in the MS KB article but many people around this forum have suggested it:
%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config -section:applicationPools /[name='DefaultAppPool'].processModel.loadUserProfile:false
It did not work for me however but is apparently supposed to do the same job as the next step below. So:
(Note: Along the way here you will be accessing windows system folders etc. Vista will frequently ask you to confirm your actions, apparently this is normal. Again, Im no expert.)
Start \ Computer \ C: \ Windows \ System32 \ InetSrv \ config
Now COPY the file 'ApplicationHost.Config'
Paste it onto your desktop (You should make a backup copy at this point to be safe as well)
Now change the '.config file extension to '.txt'
Open the file with Notepad
Click 'Find' under the 'Edit' menu
Use this line <processModel identityType="NetworkService" /> as your find keyword
Your search should dig up some script that looks like this:
<processModel identityType="NetworkService" />
You now want to change the middle line so that it becomes this:
<processModel identityType="NetworkService" loadUserProfile="false" />
Now save the file
Convert the '.txt' back to '.config'
Copy the new file
Go back to: Start \ Computer \ C: \ Windows \ System32 \ InetSrv \ config
Paste and overwrite the existing 'ApplicationHost.Config' file
At this point, test your application via localhost. If everthing else on your application is setup ok (more often that not, access rights are overlooked) it will run.
Hope this helps!